Monday, February 27, 2012

The Things That Burned When the Bus Caught Fire

My chemistry book
My class notes
The piece of gum I stuck under a seat one day
(I don't normally do that sort of thing, but for some reason, it just felt right)
Half a Mountain Dew (I didn't want to finish it, anyway. It was already getting warm)
A girl's purse
Contents: credit card, probably not much money, chapstick, lipstick, eyeliner,
Other assorted makeup,
Probably her cell phone.
Contents: phone numbers she didn't keep anywhere else (a Facebook group can fix that),
Pictures (the good ones are probably already online),
Text messages, fingerprints, face oils, some hers, some from friends,
maybe a couple from strangers.
Not my cell phone (that stays in my pocket),
So I still have that picture of us at sunset in Fernandina this past Spring,
The one where you said you had a weird face, and I agreed, so
You made me swear never to show it to anyone else.
And I didn't.
That weird stain that we always hoped was just a spilled coke
My library book (at least I can't find it, so I have to assume that's what happened)
The seat where we were sitting when you first held my hand
Some tires (they all popped)
The steering wheel
The gas pedal
The brakes.
The seat where I tried so hard not to cry
After you said that it just wasn't working anymore
And all you did with your weird face
Is chewed those damn tater tots
And stare at the salt and pepper shakers
While my whole life went up in flames.

---

I knocked this out in about 10 minutes at lunch today. It's still a work in progress. I'm not super happy with the line breaks and punctuation. Inspired by actual events: http://www.ajc.com/news/bus-burns-up-on-1360205.html

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. Haha. The style seems familiar. -ME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, familiar as "this style is somewhat derivative of x, y, z," or familiar as "the tone is casual, almost as if the speaker knows me." Or just familiar as in, "Man, my pal Eric is a great writer, and his voice really shines through in everything he writes, which I definitely read all the time because, gee golly, isn't Eric awesome?" I mean, I assume the latter (for 99% of people I know), but just need you to confirm.

      Delete